There's a chop job 280SE 3.5 available here in D.C. at Friendship
Classics.  The sappy part is that it still has the s/r switch on the
dash.  They chopped a 3.5 sunroof coupe to make a faux cabriolet.  :((
 The moron who did this is not going to come out ahead on the deal, I
bet.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Fredd <f...@knology.net> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> There is a BIG difference between a correctly converted coupe into cabrio,
> with behind dashboard, A post, B post, behind cabine and floor structural
> reinforcments, or a regular chopped coupe into
> cabrio done a la Straman and the copycat conversions.
>
> Not one company, repeat NOT ONE,  in the US did coupe into cabrio
> conversions with the structaral reinforcments, no matter what they printed
> in their brochures.
> They all did it the Straman way and made the car effectivly worthless. I've
> seen to many of them while they were building them.
> I call these cars a front half parts car and a rear half parts car with some
> interior parts, nothing more.
>
> Fredd
>

>>> These have shot up to crazy prices lately... even the coupes converted to
>>> cabs have value... they list them in german pricing guides.  The last
>>> guide
>>> I have shows a converted 220SEb cab worth 32,000EUR in #3 condition.
>>> Compare to 41,000EUR for a real one and only 17,300EUR for a coupe.
>>>
>>> Regardless of the history of the car, I've seen much worst sell for $26k
>>> around here... its still a good deal, believe it or not.
>>>
>>> Even if it has holes in the floor and bondo... new floors will cost you
>>> only a smaller percentage of the car's value, so its not a big deal. I've
>>> helped a few people buy these recently and had to change my thinking...
>>> they're buying cars with bad floor repairs as investments, and its
>>> actually
>>> paying off.
>>>
>>> It is another car that I've been saying to myself "buy one while you
>>> still
>>> can"... but I'm afraid I've missed my chance.  They're just too