Take a slightly larger allen wrench (SAE size?) and beat it in , or file/grind the end on all flats to make it tapered, then beat it in.

An allen head that is soft enough to round, is also soft enough to be squared (hexed) up by beating in a bigger size wrench.

I have had good luck using a SAE size in a metric allen, and vice versa.

The task of replacing the water pump has progressed, but I have hit a
snag.

The coolant return line from the heater core changes from rubber to metal
on the passenger's side of the engine. The metal pipe goes across the
front of the head and then joins the water pump with a flange and an
o-ring seal. In the middle of the pipe is a bracket that is bolted to the
head. That bolt has a 5 mm allen recess. I have used a socket-drive allen
bit to try to remove the bolt, but the bit just turned in the recess,
rounding it out. Of course, the bolt isn't the most accessable, as the
attached picture shows.

Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Thanks,

Craig