It was a sad day when they changed all the rules on drug reps entertaining their customers. When my wife was a Fellow, one of them took 3 couples (us + 2 other Fellows/spouses) to a really nice (one of the nicest) restaurant in Houston. The waiter brought over the wine list, she handed it to me and says to order wine. I ask her what the parameters were, and she says, "I have a lot of budget to spend by the end of the year, have fun."

And so we did. A LOT of fun. While those days are passed, there is an occasional "thank you" that comes along.

The interesting thing about health care these days, at least in the oncology side, is that reimbursements for actual doc time and procedures is not enough to even begin to cover costs of providing that service. The money is made on significant mark-up margins of drugs, esp. chemotherapy agents. That is the rule-based system they work under, gummint is a big driver of the system. It will be interesting to see how it all sorts out for the system to actually operate like something rational. I hold out no hope in that regard, and neither do most of the other docs (including deans and other big shots).

--R