From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 12:06 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] 300SD Morning Scare

So this morning mama rings me a 4:26AM (don't ask) and in fumbling for
the phone I did not get the call.  Try to call her like 6 times, then a
voice mail pops up, she says the car is dead, was smoking bad, would not
start again after stopping.  Anyway I finally reach her, she has called
AAA to get a free tow back to the house, says some guy (at 4:30AM...)
saw a puddle of oil under the car.  Ohsh*t. So anyway after awhile a
flat bed arrives with her and the car, she goes on her way.

I checked the oil, it was fine.  Car then started right up and ran OK.
hmmmm.  So then I check coolant and it is completely dry. Ohsh*t.  I
filled it back up and see it leaking out the front of the engine, I
guess it is coming from the water pump which must have munched.  Looks
like the water pump is in some sort of aluminum housing with a little
banjo bolt/line coming out of it then going to the block just above.
Anyone know what all that is about?

I am figuring the car did overheat and the "smoke" was steam blowing
out, but maybe she was lucky and caught it (or by circumstances was
caught) before the engine got damaged.  Given it started and ran fine, I
am hoping....

--R