As I said ealier, in 1976 the mileage of a 300D was very good compared to most gasoline vehicles of similar size and diesel was cheap.
Times have changed.

Randy

On 18/07/2012 6:58 PM, Curt Raymond wrote:
So you're arguing that the improvements of the last 30 years make gasoline
engines better and longer lasting but NOT diesel engines?

-Curt

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:55:46 -0500
From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Great diesel myth: They DON'T save you money and
     petrol models 'are more economical for most makes of car'

No, I suggest just the opposite. I am not convinced that the current
crop of diesel engines will perform as well or as long as my 1976 300D
engine.

The new one's are computer controlled and have aluminum parts and Urea
additives etc.

Not a simple engine like it once was.

Can I count on a new Blue tec or what ever it is called being around and
running fine when it is 36 years old?

I know that diesels are now quieter and cleaner but apart from that, are
they truly any better?

Now that may be fine for the folks who buy a new car every 3 or so years
and don't have any interest in long term ownership and that is sort of
what the article suggested. It said that with the car costing more up
front and fuel costing more, there was little incentive to buy a diesel.
Whoever wrote that article was not thinking ahead to bottom feeders like
us looking for reliable and inexpensive old cars to run many years in
the future.

Randy