> andrew strasfogel wrote:

> My mechanic told me that in the 1985 300TD the AC condenser
> works off the tachometer.  If the tach is down, the AC won't
> work.  Fact or fiction?

Condenser?  I think you mean compressor.  The condenser is an
array of finned pipes.  The compressor is a mechanical device
that has a pulley with a belt-drive.

They are connected, related.  Via the KLIMA relay.  The KLIMA is
like the government - it has fingers in lots of places.  It
watches engine RPM, compressor RPM, and other stuff.

The intent is that it will shutdown the AC system if there
serious trouble and so might save a compressor.

--   Philip