If you want to be frugal, I've had good luck buying non-functional units and
replacing the battery.
eBay, Craigslist, garage sales...

ALL manufacturers have piss poor reliability for their consumer products. Too
much price competition.

It's probably a bit large, but the APC Matrix 5000 pops up cheap on eBay and
works fine with 12V car batteries (48V unit - you need sets of 4 batteries).
Best to buy it local as it weighs over 200lbs.

If you are concerned about UPS failure, you can use a transfer switch to
connect 2 UPS units to one power strip with auto failover. Search eBay for "APC
transfer switch". Make sure you get a 120V unit. Many you see will be 208V
units made for splitting the legs off 3-phase power.

-Dave Walton