On 08/08/2012 1:08 PM, Allan Streib wrote:
Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca> writes:

I think you need to consider it a learning experience which you
obviously have, but I don't think you should give up on doing things
yourself.
Indeed, the only difference is with a professional mechanic they have
their "learning experiences" on other people's cars, not their own.

Allan
True but they do seem to learn faster as they do it all the time.
My younger son is a licenced mechanic and I am surprised at how good he is getting.
He was looking at his own car on the weekend - 2000 Maxima.
It was making a noise that he did not like and he was trying to diagnose what it was.
Turned out to be nothing more than a loose caliper on the left rear wheel.
Caused by the fact that we live in flat country and the parking brake is seldom used. The parking brake tightens the puck in the caliper and if you don't use the parking brake, then over time the pad wears a bit and the caliper rattles because the pad is a bit loose on the rotor. At least that is what he came up with and setting the parking brake and releasing it a dozen times made the noise go away.
Nothing like a free repair.

Randy