We're rooting for you! Some concern about the road up the mountain. Does Mercedes make helicopters?
Gerry

Craig would not be on the mountain. no concern about roads. Saddle road is not as bad as the rental places would have you believe. You just need to understand it and stay alert. I believe the observatory still runs vans up the mountain for employees who work there. The saddle road was built during WWII to get supplies side to side on the island. It was built narrow, for one way convoys, and with lots of switchbacks to minimize possible target areas for strafing enemy planes. There are lots of people who commute daily over the saddle road. There have been many parts of the road straightened and widened. The Hilo side has a wonderful stretch of twisties that would be great for a BMW R series mortorsickle. The road around the island that the car rental places will let you drive also has some wonderful twisties.

I ran my 200D over the saddle road and up the road to the observatory. Biggest problem is overheating. The observatory and tour vans have oversize radiators.

The saddle road is so named because it crosses the "saddle" between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea.

That said, you need to be alert. My cousins each rolled and destroyed a vehicle on the saddle road when they met someone coming around a corner too fast. One rolled the Scout and destroyed it, and the other rolled a early Isuzu trooper that replaced the scout.

The road to Hana is famous for its twisties, and the rental car places let you drive it. The saddle road just didn't get the positive spin in the "press" that the Hana road got. People used to burn up brakes on the saddle road if they were not smart enough to downshift and use compression braking. THe road got the blame for peoples' stupidity.