"sit and idle" are the operative words here I think.. A diesel engine at
idle will stack unburned/poorly burned fuel in the cylinders and exhaust
when idled for any period of time.

This is due to the lower combustion rate in the unloaded engine and slight
overfuel condition to sustain idle [so I'm told].... which is why the new
rules for parking semi tractors went into effect. When they start pulling
after idle they smoked and rolled coal.

Could be you have one or more fuel nozzles that are not still making a good
spray pattern, which gives large droplets of fuel which take more heat and
energy to light off, available at higher speeds and greater loads on the
engine.

Just a few thoughts,

Grant...