On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Gerry Archer <arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> I bought a (2010?) version CD of Acronis for home/office from Ebay on the
> recommendation of several members and set it to periodically back up a whole
> image of my main computer, which runss WinXP, on a free standing external
> HD.
> (I assume a "whole image" includes everything on the HD including the OS?)

Yes, Acronis was one of the early "true image" backup solutions, as I
recall.  Ideal for taking a live system to a backup.

> I want to put a copy of the main computers drive alongside Windows 7 on
> another computer using Virtualbox.
> It would seem that downloading the whole image of the C drive on the
> external HD to Virtualbox on another computer would be no different than
> downloading it to an "empty" formatted hd on a new computer.  I thought
> perhaps that someone on the list might have done that since Virtualbox and
> Acronis Home Office seem to be very popular.

I have not done it, but Acronis should come with a restore CD.  If you
boot that using Virtualbox, and then patch the USB port to the
Virtualbox instance, it should work fine. [I know how to do that in
VMWare but not Virtualbox, sorry.]

> If I can later set up Acronis to run on a VIrtualbox OS and back it up to an
> external HD, that will be great but not absolutely necessary.

You could, but you should probably just copy snapshots (or whatever)
from Virtualbox onto the hard drive.  Presumably you're using Acronis
or whatever to backup the Virtualbox host.  That way you don't have to
take two steps to get your systems running again, though you lose the
ability to do incremental/differential backups so that may be a
consideration.

Best,
-Tim