The problem with pure electrics may be that many people drive further on a given day than the battery charge will allow. The solution? Why not add a second battery pack to a Leaf, for example, which would give it a 140-150 mile range? While charging time might be a problem, that could be solved if Nissan added the cost of installing a 220 volt plug on a persons dwelling for charging, to the price of the car. A battery shouldn't on average weigh more than an extra passenger in the car, I would guess.
Gerry

From: "Tim C" <bb...@crone.us>
It's only fair to pin every oil spill on gas cars, too.
I don't understand the animosity of this group toward electric cars.  Yes,
the technology isn't for everyone, but then neither is diesel. (Arguably
they are for opposite ends of the spectrum.) Electric is more efficient
putting power to the wheels than any IC engine could hope to be. Batteries
are terrible, but so is hauling 6 pounds per gallon of explosives behind
the children.  And you've got hundreds fewer moving parts in an EV.  It
seems like a counter-culture group like dieselers would want to embrace the
technology, not shun it - at least as far as it makes cars easier to use
and maintain.

I guess I don't see why Nissan can't sell diesel coupes, electric sedans,
gas SUVs and diesel work vans, and everybody gets what they want.

BTW I saw this morning that Tesla is selling the model S faster than they
can produce it.  So, yes, that might be bad for Studebaker - oh, sorry,
Chrysler/Chevy/entrenched Detroit players - but apparently there is a lot
of money looking to buy a well-engineered electric car.  Too bad there are
so few available.

Best,
Tim
On Oct 8, 2012 8:53 PM, "ernest breakfield" <erne...@backyardengineering.org>