On Oct 13, 2012, at 10:36 AM, "Conrad Trybus" <tryb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>    I would like to ask for some knowledge about a 1973 280. I am in high
> school and this is my first car. As one would expect from a 16 year old, I
> don't have a whole lot of automotive experience or skill, but I have been
> working on restoring an old Jeep for a few years, so I'm not completely
> mechanically inept.
>    First of all, the car smokes after getting up to temperature(maybe after
> driving 4-9 miles). It is a white smoke from the exhaust.

That would indicate a bad head gasket, not seals.  White smoke = coolant, blue
smoke = oil, black smoke = fuel.

>  Also, if I'm careful, can I reuse all of the gaskets and seals, or would I
> have to buy new ones.

New. We have a parts supplier on this list, and his prices are the best of
anyone's.

>    I was also wondering about the vacuum pump. Is it really necessary at all?

A gasser with a vacuum pump? Yes, if it's there, it's necessary. German
engineers are funny like that.

>    Also, the sun roof doesn't work. It worked for a couple days after I
> bought the car, then stopped working. When I press the open button nothing
> happens, but when I press the close button I hear the electric motor.

On other models it is operated with a cable. Might be a cable issue.
> Maybe I should buy a new switch just incase we killed it (any good places to
> buy one).

Rusty at buymbparts.BIZ 1-800-741-5252
>    Finally, are there any little nuances about operating and maintaining an
> old Mercedes W114 that I should know about?

Never owned one.
> Other than these things I mentioned, I love the car and hope to keep it in
> good condition

Jaime? Mitch? Loren? Kaleb? Craig? Roger? Someone who knows more than me please
help this young man out. We were all young once...

Rick
Sent from my iPhone