I love my 83 300d!  Just got back from a trip to Rochester and back.  160
gps miles, 5.35 gallons of fuel comes to 29.9mpg driving like I stole it.
It has NA gears in the rear so it comes off the line pretty well but really
turns some rpm's(tach doesn't work) at 75 and 80mph but runs along smooth
as can be at that speed.
  Gotta do a valve adjustment and general checkover to get ready for an
1800 mile trip to Parris Island to pick up my son after boot camp.  So, 60
gallons or so of veggie oil should get me there and back.  That's about $5
worth of filtering and 1 hour of my time to process the fuel.  And, I get
to drive one of the finest cars ever made........gotta love it!

Mike