The bit about the FAA inspector's findings reminded me of this from a boating forum that I read.

Randy

"I drove up stream a bit to a small dirt landing, hand lauched the boat and went about fishing for several hours. After a bit I decided to head up stream and try for some crabs, a ways upstream we run across and old man in an old, raggedy Renken trihull, with an OMC I/O set up. He was tossing the anchor and retreiving rope. I circled back and asked if I could help, he went on to explain that his motor died and he couldn't get it started. He had been out all morning and was only 1/4 of the way back to the ramp. I offered to help and he said I was welcome to try but he gave up hours ago. To my surprise, the dog box was made of T111 siding, and about 3' taller than normal. He proceeded to show me how the top of the box folds back on hinges to expose the engine. (There were no gauges or controls on the dash other than several toggle switches. The boat had bench seats installed over a plain plywood deck. The seats were screwed in from each side right through the glass hull. He said he didn't have a starter, and when I flipped the home made cover back I saw why... The original inline four cylinder motor was gutted, all but the oil pan and block were gone. On top of the block where the cylinder head used to reside was a steel plate, with a cast iron Wisconsin cement mixer motor bolted on top of the original engine. There was what looked like a motorcycle chain going from the air cooled engine up top down to a sprocket welded to the original crankshaft. The oil pan was filled to the edge, and he made a sheet metal funnel to keep the oil in the pan as the chain turned. The added on motor has no recoil, only a rope sheave. I gave it a few pulls and it didn't feel healthy inside. I told the guy something broke inside, and that I'd try to tow him to the dock"