Not creepy to contact former owners; 'may be more productive for you if you're quick to say that you want to thank and commend them for taking such good care of it so that you can now enjoy it. 'May help also to say that you're merely trying to gather as much of its history as you can in order for you to better understand the car and prolong its life even more. They may be very pleased to hear what has happened to it and happy to know it's still in service.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Rentfro" <azbob...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 6:12 PM
Subject: [MBZ] My Beater 240D Discoveries

So...opened the trunk for the first time this morning (now that I got the
correct key from Rusty) and there was a car cover, a Honda jack, the
correct jack on lug wrench...anyone have one?) , a spare holding air, a
large chain guide (new) and a stack of owners/maintenance manuals. Looks
like this car started its life in Santa Cruz, CA (first owners Joshua and
Eliza Baer).  Pretty impeccable service records kept until 79K miles
(5/1983) all performed at a place called Bergstorm Motor Co in Santa Cruz.
Then there is a big gap until 8/31/87 when "an original MERCEDES BENZ
exchange engine" was installed. It has the mileage listed at 149,028. The
odometer shows 375K right now (but it is no working, of course).
Interesting.
So today I changed the oil and did the front brakes. When I was retracting
the inside piston on the drivers side, I got a few drips of brake fluid
out. So, can these calipers be rebuilt?

Next day off will be rebuilding calipers (if possible), renew brake fluid,
flush/fill coolant, exhaust donuts, manual transmission fluid renew (if I
can get the fill plug out), and the rear diff (ditto fill plug).

What else should be done to establish a baseline for this car? Also, is it
creepy to try to contact the former owners of this car?

Bob R
1980 240D 4 SPD 375K ?
2005 320E 123K
2006 Jetta TDI 145K