On 31/10/2012 9:57 PM, WILTON wrote:
Who was wanting a nylon roller for a window coupla weeks ago?  Check this -
screen door roller, $1.50/pair.

http://stores.nextag.com/store/4798097/product/949410355/Nylon-Roller

Wilton
_______________________________________

It was me Wilton.

I don't know if I ever posted the result of our search for a reasonable repair solution. I found rollers intended for a shower door at Home Depot. As luck would have it, they were almost perfect - just a wee bit too big in diameter.

I used a simple jig to make them a bit smaller:

- a strip of wood with a hole drilled in it to attach the roller
 - then clamped that in a vice
- then pushed it into a sanding drum on the drill press a little bit and clamped down the vice - then rotated the roller to evenly reduce the size of the nylon roller by a little bit so it would fit into the channel.

The rollers came with a threaded stud so it made attachment to the regulator on the truck very easy.

We just ground off the original rivet and bolted these in with a bit of locktite. It works fine.

Cost was about $5 and that was double what it could have been as I bought 2 sets in case I was not successful with my first try (I had not figured out how I was going to reduce the size when I was in Home Depot).
So, I have a spare set - if I can find them if I ever need them again.

Randy