Rick
An un-educated rube with little post HS education who just answered a question from a nuclear physicist. Maybe I'm not so dumb after all.
(don't tell my teenaged sons)
Sent from my iPhone

Nobody knows everything, even about a very narrow area. Ph.D. students biggest hurdle is often defining a small enough research topic, so that is can be completed in a reasonable time. PhuDs just know a lot about a small area, but the theory is that if you can successfully research a very small area, then you will be able to research larger topical areas.

Sometimes the theory works, and sometimes it doesn't.

The school of hard knocks is a tougher university than any ivy league or Research 1 University. I find that graduates of the school of hard knocks are more interesting and better company than pointy headed perfessors. (deliberate spelling)

maybe I should make a sign:  Rubes and rednecks welcome here.