Or a chain saw. 'Bout 15 years ago, psychiatrist friend came with his new chain saw to help clear a hurricane-downed tree in my yard. I quickly saw how dangerous he was and finally had to say to 'im, "I'm sure you're a mighty fine psychiatrist, but you don't seem to know much about physics, i. e., gravity and tree limbs. Please don't quit your day job to take up tree cutting."

Wilton

-- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:45 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D tow hitch or wagon?

Knowledge is knowledge.

The advantage of getting a PhD from a good university (and they are not all good, nor all all PhDs) is that you KNOW that the person with one has proven that they can define an question and answer it well enough to publish something peer reviewed. Other people have that ability as well, just don't have the certification.

Outside that particular area, though, until they do the learning they may be just as ignorant as anyone else. Difference is, again, that they know HOW to learn something in an organized fashion and in detail.

You may not get good results if you ask a Biology PhD to help you rebuild your engine....

Peter