Today I did something new: set the injection pump timing on my E300 using
the millivolt method.  My goal is to improve fuel consumption.

The glow-plugs will produce a very small voltage when heated, due to the
dissimilar metals used to make them.  Measuring this voltage (~12 to 13
millivolts in my case) provides a clue as to the heat of combustion in the
pre-chamber.

Previously I'd set the IP timing using the locking tool, which I consider to
be a rather imprecise way of setting the timing.

I made a harness to tie the glow plug wires together at the connector for
the pre-glow relay, so I was combining all the voltages.  This produced a
very steady signal, measured with my Fluke DMM.

I found that by retarding the timing, not only did the idle speed increase,
but so did the heat of combustion.  The voltage peaked after three complete
clock-wise wrench revolutions , but if I continued retarding the timing, the
idle speed continued to increase.

Going for a test drive shortly.  Will know if the fuel consumption has
improved after a few hundred miles or so.

Thanks,
/s/
Max Dillon
Charleston SC