On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:20:46 -0500 "Max Dillon"
<meadedil...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Today I did something new: set the injection pump timing on my E300
> using the millivolt method.  My goal is to improve fuel consumption.

Interesting idea. Did you read about it some place, or think it up on
your own?

> I made a harness to tie the glow plug wires together at the connector
> for the pre-glow relay, so I was combining all the voltages.  This
> produced a very steady signal, measured with my Fluke DMM.

Start engine, disconnect glow plug connector from glow plug relay, and
connect to your new combining harness, I presume.

> I found that by retarding the timing, not only did the idle speed
> increase, but so did the heat of combustion.  The voltage peaked after
> three complete clock-wise wrench revolutions , but if I continued
> retarding the timing, the idle speed continued to increase.

What car is this? For a W123, the phrase "three complete clock-wise
wrench revolutions" doesn't apply.

> Going for a test drive shortly.  Will know if the fuel consumption has
> improved after a few hundred miles or so.

We will be awaiting your test results.

Craig