Thanks everyone.  He ended.up with a Boost Mobile phone.  It is an Android
called a Kyocera Hydro.  Supposed to be waterproof and seemed sort of
sturdy.  Price is $55 per month for "unlimited" everything with data
throttling after 2gb or something.  He will set it up to be taken out of
his account every month and after 18 months of current payments the price
will be down to $40 per month.  The phone was $99 so worth it to give it a
try for a few months and see how it works.

Thanks again, Mike