'Had some mighty fine reindeer stew in Greenland. A nice herd lived in hills near base. I'd occasionally drive up VERY steep ice/packed snow road (fine gravel sprinkled on top of it) to plateau and hills above the base to view some "countryside" and check on the reindeer. I'd pull up beside several of them 4 or 5 feet away and admire/study the way they scratched away snow covering their food (dry grass), take a bite, chew, etc. None of them ever showed any fear of me; 'went up to see them one afternoon, and found two reindeer heads lying by the road. 'Few days later, my Danish contractor chief engineer invited me to his house one evening for dinner - mighty fine meal.

BTW, getting back down the VERY steep road, especially in winter was "puckering" - constant pumping of brakes to keep truck from getting too fast and careening or slipping on ice off cliff, etc.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Dillon" <meadedil...@bellsouth.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2012 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] deer

My wife and I love venison, if you do hit one give me a call.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:

In the paper today is a little blurb about an airplane that crashed,
caught on fire somehow after hitting a deer that ran across the runway
in front of the plane taking off.  It sounded like a little rural
airport.

Here where I live it is rural/semi-rural with some developments with
tasty landscaping, though there are some big gators living here and
there too.  A lot of the land is forest or farms, we live in a fairly
large patch of woods around.  A few weeks back I was over at a house on

Kiawah, which is situated on the Kiawah River looking over to Johns
Island where I live.  I was chatting with this older gent, I say " I
bet
that looks a lot like it did back during the War."  He proceeds to
explain to me that during the War the whole island was pretty much
cleared and given over to farming -- cotton, rice, and such - and it
was
only after things got disrupted that the plantations reverted back to
forest.  It was easy back then for the Yankees to get around in their
various adventures.  Then he tells me that when he was a kid, this old
black man who had been born a slave worked for his dad, and the old man

was telling him that it was a huge deal back then when the first deer
was spotted on the island in anyone's memory.  I could not believe that

as the things are thick as squirrels these days (and I have a good crop

of them too) but he said what with all the farming and no woods, their
habitat was disrupted and they were shot for food, so they were gone
after some period.

The bobcats around here apparently take quite a few of the young ones,
keep them in check more or less.  One killed a small one in front of
the
house a coupla years back (I think it was a mama with 2 babies from the

tracks) and left it under the bushes out front.  4 yr ago a black
panther I saw out back killed a big one in the woods next to the house.

The cars get quite a few too, every coupla months there is one on the
road in front of the house.  I almost hit one a coupla years ago when 3

or 4 of us were cycling and 2 of them ran across right in front of us,
like "right there."  A guy riding with me who used to live in CT said
there was a guy up there got killed when he hit one on his bike.  YOW!

I don't particularly like eating the things or I would have a steady
supply of meat.  I have noticed some on the road were gone by
lunchtime,
so I guess someone other than the local clean-up crews (vultures) are
getting them.

--R