In the paper today is a little blurb about an airplane that crashed, caught on fire somehow after hitting a deer that ran across the runway in front of the plane taking off. It sounded like a little rural airport.

Here where I live it is rural/semi-rural with some developments with tasty landscaping, though there are some big gators living here and there too. A lot of the land is forest or farms, we live in a fairly large patch of woods around. A few weeks back I was over at a house on Kiawah, which is situated on the Kiawah River looking over to Johns Island where I live. I was chatting with this older gent, I say " I bet that looks a lot like it did back during the War." He proceeds to explain to me that during the War the whole island was pretty much cleared and given over to farming -- cotton, rice, and such - and it was only after things got disrupted that the plantations reverted back to forest. It was easy back then for the Yankees to get around in their various adventures. Then he tells me that when he was a kid, this old black man who had been born a slave worked for his dad, and the old man was telling him that it was a huge deal back then when the first deer was spotted on the island in anyone's memory. I could not believe that as the things are thick as squirrels these days (and I have a good crop of them too) but he said what with all the farming and no woods, their habitat was disrupted and they were shot for food, so they were gone after some period.

The bobcats around here apparently take quite a few of the young ones, keep them in check more or less. One killed a small one in front of the house a coupla years back (I think it was a mama with 2 babies from the tracks) and left it under the bushes out front. 4 yr ago a black panther I saw out back killed a big one in the woods next to the house. The cars get quite a few too, every coupla months there is one on the road in front of the house. I almost hit one a coupla years ago when 3 or 4 of us were cycling and 2 of them ran across right in front of us, like "right there." A guy riding with me who used to live in CT said there was a guy up there got killed when he hit one on his bike. YOW!

I don't particularly like eating the things or I would have a steady supply of meat. I have noticed some on the road were gone by lunchtime, so I guess someone other than the local clean-up crews (vultures) are getting them.

--R