When you get some more of that free cash, could you send me some of it?  ;>)

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OM 603 head gasket

Some notes from my head gasket job a couple years back:

Make absolutely sure that oil supply pipe is free of the block when you attempt to remove the head, mine leaked after straightening it back out, never did get fixed (car was wrecked soon after).

You need all new head bolts, if you re-use them they always fail to keep the gasket sealed. Gas engines are fine, the diesel is not.

Absolutely check the valve guides, they are a known weak point. Easy to fix. Make absolutely POSITIVE that the machine shop installs them to factory specs (very little clearance) -- it's common around here to want them very sloppy for some reason. I got a rebuilt head with at least 0.010" side clearance, had to have the job redone before we could use the head (and new valve seats to boot).

For just a gasket change, leave the injectors in, don't clean the pistons, and don't clean the head except in the seal area. Knocks like crazy for a couple days if you shine it all up. If you need to check for cracks, clean it, otherwise leave the carbon on.

You can leave the turbo and exhaust manifold in place, much easier. However, you should also check the turbo for condition -- if there is ANY front to back play or roughness in rotation, the bearings are shot. It' not impossible for the front seal to be OK and the rear to leak, the damage is usually done by coked oil on the main shaft and it can eat out the rear seal first.

Good luck -- your car will run MUCH better after you put the new gasket in. I need one as well, but it will have to wait until I get the suspension fixed, I'm out of free cash.

Peter