Randy wrote:

"Do you not think that when one does spill hot coffee in one's lap, that one
should assume the fault unless one is bumped or in some other manner  caused by
someone else to spill the coffee? Especially when it is in a drive through
line.  How is McD's supposed to prevent someone driving a car from spilling
coffee once the cup is handed over? Do we put childproof caps on the cup so one
cannot drink it in the car?"

I wish everyone knew the REAL story of the McDonald's lawsuit.   One of my
colleagues here in Wichita was Stella's neighbor (the plaintiff in the
McDonalds lawsuit) when this all occurred.  He is currently a lawyer because of
her story. NOT because the jury got it wrong, but because the real story is
MUCH more compelling than the conventional wisdom suggests.   The reality of
that case is that Stella didn't want to go to court. She offered to settle with
McDonald's for the cost of her medical expenses, but the company refused - even
after a mediator suggested they should settle. Once in court, it was revealed
that McDonald's deliberately kept its coffee 20 degrees hotter than industry
standards and was aware from 700 prior incidents that this practice could
result in severe burns. The company decided not to reduce its temperature and
not to warn its customers of any risk. In the end, McDonald's behavior outraged
jury members who were skeptical of the case. Even the judge, who reduced the
jury verdict by more than 80% - called McDonald's conduct reckless, callous and
willful.
I read the deposition of the Senior VP who was in charge of the company policy
on the coffee and the temperature it was kept at.  He was the worst witness
ever.  He admitted that they had notice of severe burns, and admitted that they
made a business decision to not change their policy.  He came off as a complete
jackass.  The jury actually awarded 1 day's worth of coffee sales for
McDonald's.  AND it was later reduced dramatically.   That case is not about a
frivolous lawsuit.  Its actually about a company that was aware that there
product was dangerous, and they chose to keep selling it because they decided
the customers that wanted it that hot were more important than the risk
associated with the very small number of people who got hurt by their product.
Donald H. Snook
Who has not been keeping up the digests.