From: richthomas79td...@constructivity.net
I took a look at CL this morning, and there were 2 or 3 not bad looking
8-10 yr old Foci in decent neighborhoods, and a coupla Buicks, for not a
lot of money.  Surprisingly not that many ricers. I'm thinking about the
Foci given the rave reviews for them.

The local dealer is offering leases for new Toyota Corollas for $159 per month. That amounts to about $6000 over the usual 36 month lease. It's pretty well established that rice burners; especially Toyotas; don't have major repair issues compared to many other cars. Not sure how the post-lease buyout works, but it would undoubtedly be cheaper than buying a new car. If your son is starting third year med school, that would see him through graduation and his internship. If he is starting a 4 year residency, he could do the buy-out for the fourth year.
Just a thought.
Gerry
'83 300D and 240D