On Dec 3, 2012 9:21 AM, "Gerry Archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

 Gerry....who prefers chains or gears.

Hmm.  There are of course plenty of cars out there with chain-driven cams,
and a few with gear-driven ones... but was an engine ever made with no
belts at all?  I.e., all accessories chain- or gear- driven?  (Not counting
motorcycle engines since they don't have any accessories to speak of.)

Alex

BMW "airhead" motorcycles have accessories that are not belt driven, alternator and starter. Alt is direct drive off the cam, and the cam is chain driven, and that chain is a high mileage item.

MB postwar "at least" engines with distributors have a gear drive off the timing chain that also drives the oil pump

Many trucks have accessory drives for air compressors and such (even though they use belts for alternator and such)

I have often wondered why auto accessories are not gear/chain driven, other than custom (and bean counters). VW vs MB shows why a chain is preferable, at least for camshaft.