And this saves horse power, converting torque into electricity and then back into torque again? ...I don't see how this increases fuel economy.

Obviously because the _average_ load is much lower than the
peak supply that the mechanical-only is capable of supplying.
Enough so that it more than pays for the efficiency losses
due to the double conversion.

Think of the oil pressure relief valves, for example.
My guess is the real savings are on water pump and cooling
fan.

But we still have cost, space, weight, and reliability issues
to deal with.

-- Jim