My father in law had a big Ford wagon with the wood grain stuff and a 390 if I recall correctly. Cannot recall if it was the Ford or the Mercury but I do recall that he did not keep it all that long because the gas gauge appeared to be connected to the speedometer. When the speedometer needle went up, the fuel needle went down - and almost that quickly. The thing would not go a hundred miles on a tank. It was god awful. It was probably at the beginning of the smog era - around 1969 or 1970. He swapped it for a new 1971 Cougar with a 351. It was actually pretty good on fuel and it was a nice little car. Black with a burgundy interior. He swapped it a year or so later for a caramel coloured 1973 Cougar. A much fancier car but it was just junk from day one. Wierd that they changed that much in a model year or two. The smog equipment at that time just ruined them. You couldn't keep the thing running and it was brand spankng new. He would not give up on Fords though. He swapped it not long after for a Torino.

Randy