On 05/12/2012 6:57 PM, Fmiser wrote:
Randy Bennell wrote:
Well, my fuel injected F150 is only doing about 11 mpg - on
the imperial gallon - around town these days so I have to
remain sceptical. Those big old cars must have weighed as much
as my truck and they generally had bigger motors and did not
have injection etc. They likely had a lower final drive ratio
but even then, I have a hard time believing good mileage.
At road speeds, the biggest engine load is from air resistance.
The biggest factor in air resistance is frontal area.  So even
if the car weighed the same as the pickup, because it is
shorter, the engine will not have to work as hard.

My carbureted 350 (5.7 L) in the 3/4 ton with 1:1 top gear truck
gets 11 MPG. When a bit younger, the carbureted 350 (5.7L) in
the 1/2 ton Suburban with the overdrive automatic transmission
would consistently get 14 MPG unless very heavily loaded or
pulling a tall trailer.  It now gets 12 or less - but after
almost 400,000 miles without overhaul, I'm not complaining much.

--  Philip