Hi Tan,

I think it's an optical illusion. Some of the holes are different, but
it's not a huge change. There are dark areas on the old head that can
look like holes but really aren't. The block has large openings, and
the head gasket has smaller holes to control fluid passage. Kind of an
odd setup, really. If you poke around on my website, you can see
photos of the block surface and the head gaskets too, for reference:

http://www.w124performance.com/images/OM603_head_replacement/

:-)

-Dave M.