Believe me, Tan, both times I had the head off, *I* was amazed the
engine ran when I got it back together! ;-)

When I replaced the head, I was concerned about the wear on the timing
device cam, as shown in that photo. However I did not replace it at
that time. I've seen much worse, and since I was short on funds, I
left it alone. A few years later when my timing cover broke, I decided
it would never be easier to change the silly thing so I replaced it
then. The wear had not gotten any worse in the ~20kmi in between. That
part is not cheap, but I feel better with a fresh one installed. I
would re-use the old/worn one on a different car if necessary, though.
Photos of the new & old timer are here:

http://www.w124performance.com/images/OM603_timing_cover/

:-)

-Dave M.