The key to good bread is proper flour, good yeast (not the stuff in packets at the grocery) and kneading. King Aurthur Bread Flour, SAF bulk yeast in the red package ($4.95 from King Aurthur) and you can hardly go wrong.

Keading I do the easy way, a Kitchen Aid K5 circa 1965, makes wonderful bread out of just about any four, even barely suitable stuff.

Best to mix the liquid, yeast, and part of the flour and let the yeast work for 15-20 min, then add the rest of the four, knead, rise, shape, rise again. Adds greatly to that wonderful yeast flavor.

All purpose flour tends to the fragile and mushy side when making bread I've discovered, and adding some durum flour helps quite a bit, although hand kneading bread with durum wheat flour is not for the weak, you're going to be at it for a while!

Nothing beats fresh bread -- if my brother and nephew happen to drop by while I'm baking on Saturday, as they often do, the first loaf never cools completely, being consumed instead.

Peter