It should save some time, but I don't think it's worth it iff you don't
replace timeing chains more than two or three times in your life. I
followed Peter's process almost exactly all three times I've done it. I
used three pieces of 12 ga. house wire to tie the chain to the cam sprocket
- keeping two on it at all times.
Yes, it is slow to rotate a bit, move wire ties, rotate a bit, etc. till
it's all done, but better than the anxiety when the cam jumps a tooth ot
two, and you're not even sure which way, it's so fast. (BTDT) I was lucky,
the engine would not turn over once a piston hit the valve while turning
the engine by hand - guessed the right direction, moved the chain one link,
and it ran fine for the next 100,000+ miles.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>wrote:

> If you can find one to borrow, I certainly would.  Not sure I'd buy one
> for a couple hundred bucks for one use though.
>

> Peter

OK Don
2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG