Lock cyl in my 124 (the one I had to use the vibrating sander on) was broken in that manner, also.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2013 10:43 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Q Comes Through - 124 Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Got the new ignition lock cylinder on Thursday from the Q.

After fashioning the release tool out of an appropriately sized piece of coat hanger, we went at it. While it took us a few minutes to get the retaining ring to release, once that was done it was all down hill. Interestingly, the "face" of the lock cylinder had broken loose from the cylinder itself. That is, when we took everything apart, the face or front of the lock cylinder that you see where the key is inserted just fell out by itself. You could see broken metal between it and the lock cylinder, so who knows how long it had been that way.

If you deduct the time we fiddled around, the whole job took about a minute. Son reports that the ignition is now buttery smooth, and no catching or hanging when the key is turned.

An observation on my part: As I had never done a 124 chassis ignition lock, even after reading the "cartoon" manual it wasn't completely clear to me how the retaining ring/collar released. I recalled the 123 and 126 ignitions, where the ring was threaded and once released you unscrewed it from the ignition assembly.

In the case of the 124, releasing the ring causes it to pop off with some force, literally springing off of the mechanism.

The angle on the ends of the release wire tool also seem to be critical. I had to trim the ends several times before getting an angle on them that would allow the mechanism to release.

Thanks to the Q for the prompt response and getting us the new ignition lock cylinder and key in a timely manner, considering it is a special order part.

Dan