I don't know for sure, but the township might have records of these kinds
of things. And there are other clues... if there is a newer tank in the
basement, where was the old one, for example.  I think he had a small patch
in the driveway where they worked on the tank, so that probably gave it
away.

Plus, its common to do a tank scan now with a special metal detector.  We
just sold our house and the buyer requested one.  Our house was heated by
natural gas, but was built in 1937.  There was no evidence of oil having
been used, or not used, so a scan was the final call.  It was quite a
relief when we passed the test!

Jaime

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/