Congrats Dan, glad to heard you're behind the three pointed star again.
 One more thought about the radio... going with a high-end aftermarket
radio with a compatible wiring harness will allow you to hold onto the
radio much longer than you have the car.  If you end up passing the W140
along in a few years, you can pull out the Becker/Blau etc and put the
original back in, then use the radio in your next car.  I do this over and
over (and over).  As long as the wiring is ok, its easy.

Jaime

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com> wrote:

> Tarek and I were able to work out a deal this week, so I flew up to
> Raleigh yesterday and drove the S500 home.  Tarek's father was gracious
> enough to pick me up at the airport and follow me to the NC DMV so I could
> get a temp plate before I started south.  Trip was uneventful and I was
> resting in bed by 10:30 that evening.
>
> It got the full Mercedes Martha Stewart treatment today, which will
> continue tomorrow after I am finished with a maintenance outage at work on
> Sunday morning when we have to take an EVA down to replace some
> controllers. New windshield and probably a set of tires coming this week.
>  A few minor things I'll address, but everything is working (at least as
> far as I can tell! - this is a far more complex car than any other MB I've
> owned!) and any repairs it might need are minor.
>
> In anticipation I have been trolling some of the MB forums and looking
> over 140 related subject matter.
>
> Is there an online service manual like there is of the W124s?  I could
> sure use some service literature for my benefit, but I'm not finding much.
>  I need to replace some lamps in the ACC panels and troubleshoot a vacuum
> door close assist actuator in the driver's door, so it would be nice to  be
> able to see the procedures before tearing in to things.
>
> Anybody want an analog phone?  This car has the factory cell phone, but
> it's pretty much dead weight these days.  I would like to have the storage
> space back for the controller, which is in the storage area above the
> center ACC vents. I'm also curious as to how the inside of the console is
> configured of you didn't have the phone - right now the handset takes up
> about a third of the space next to the cup holders.
>
> I'm also struggling over the Becker 1492.  While the sound system is fine
> for me, I really want an aux input for my iPod.  Not sure I want to do a
> swap with Ed or go aftermarket.  I'm concerned about the aesthetics if I
> went aftermarket, and I am a purist who likes to keep things bone stock.
>  This is going to be a difficult decision.
>
> If anyone has any guidance on W140 web sites or resources, I'm all ears.
>
> It's good to be back.  Just don't tell my Focus - I will miss filling up
> once a week for under $40.
>
> Dan

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/