Christopher McCann wrote:

> I told him to find the primer pump and pump it 100 times. He says
> there  is NO primer pump. I find this hard to believe. I'm gonna pick
> up a  Chilton's book at the library, hopefully tomorrow.
>
> Any ideas?

Veedub diesels use the rotary-style Bosch VE pumps.  Your friend is
correct; they do not have a primer pump.  I don't *think* they had an
electric lift pump either, but I've never worked on a '92.

He should loosen the union nuts at the injectors and crank it until fuel
starts to come out, then tighten them and start.  Sometimes it can take
quite a bit of cranking, especially if the fuel filter is dirty.  If no
fuel comes, there's either an air leak in the line (look for bubbles in
the clear fuel line) or the pump is tired.  Sometimes it helps to prime
the pump by pouring fuel through the return hole.  To rule out air leaks
in the fuel system or a plugged tank screen, try to run it off a can of
fuel up front.