Bottom line is that the accelerator pedal itself had broken. It's a
plastic part, is over 18 years old, and has been driven over 290,000
miles, but the pedal broke!

Given that it _is_ plastic, and right out where you can even
_step_ all over it, it's surprising that more of them don't break.
I'd probably just put a boneyard one in, the chances of another
one breaking are relatively small.

I had the hinge pin in my Falcon's pedal rust up, then the pedal
broke off the floor.  (More rust.)  It's still riding around in
the trunk, we just step on the rod.  Have for years, not that
the car gets driven much.

-- Jim