Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:45:13 -0500
From: Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oil (Dino)

Curt Raymond wrote:

> I used M1 5w40 in my motorcycles (both asian bikes) with excellent results.
> Loads of people told me I'd have troubles with clutch slippage but I haven't
> seen that. I guess if you use the "energy conserving" oil that can happen but
> that badge isn't on the 5w40.

Back in the 1980s I tried 15w50 in my CB200 when it became available. (M1 was
initially 5w30)

Couldn't break the clutch loose by rolling on the throttle, but if I launched
it
hard or shifted fast, the clutch could not pull the engine (all 16hp of it)
down
to match road speed. Dumping the clutch at a standing start would just let the
engine rev until the bike caught up to the engine's speed.

After my next oil change, it went back to normal behavior, in which dumping the
clutch from standstill would result in wheelspin and a little wheelie, and
shifting under power would result in the bike lunging forward instead of clutch
slipping.

I suppose it all depends on how strong the clutch is in relation to the engine,
but 1980s Mobil One definitely reduced the friction in a wet clutch as compared
to dino oils of the time.

Mitch.