No, that is not what I am saying at all. Follow the book procedure. On a normal bolt, the more you turn it, the tighter it gets. On the stretch bolts, as you make the two 90º turns per the book , at some point in the turn it no longer takes increasing power as the bolt turns. This means you have reached the point of elasticity of the bolt. (as designed to do) This is when the bolt stretches. WHat you feel on the handle is a more or less linear increase of force, then a levelling off. On the second turn, the last 30-40 º of turn is typically stretch.

You only measure the stretch when you take them out of the head.

Or are you asking about retorquing? I have never seen an instruction for retorquing. If you want to retorque one at a time, then yes, I think you can pull, measure, then retorque. I am not sure about the 10 min wait. You could do all of them fhe first 90, then wait 10, and do the second turn on all and still satisfy the book without removing the head.

You could also try a rudimentary Cyl head leakage test. through the inj hole or the GP hole to see if you can hear any leaks.

So should I pull one bolt at a time, measure stretch to make sure it is still within spec, then torque in the three stages without the ten minute wait before the last 90 degree turn, or do I need to keep the wait?
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com> wrote:

That is a good idea.  You can feel the bolts
yield.  To my thinking, if you get 85 or 95 º of
turn, as long as you feel the bolt yield, it
won't make that much difference.  So I don't
think you have to be that accurate.

Loren

I may try something along those lines, attach a
pointer to the socket and lay a 90 degree guide
on the head.

--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC

Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:

Max Dillon wrote:
  I thought you had a special wrench to measure the 90 degree
rotations.

Snap-On has one of those.