My Amish buds have a similar set-up for their shop. They built a big metal shed and poured a solid concrete floor with trenches in it to run the shafts off a diesel engine. They have a bunch of really old big stationary woodworking equipment, all driven off the shaft with belts. They are big on diesel engines to drive things -- they also have one running their sorghum mill, and a huge old steam boiler (wood fired) running the evaporator. I have no idea where they find all this stuff but they are quite inventive. One of the families (of a guy who died when a load of railroad ties he had cut shifted off the truck and crushed him, leaving 13 children and another on the way -- I got a lot of cherry and oak from him) has an old milk tanker for their water supply, parked up hill of the house. I guess they fill it from a well or something. He had an old table saw with a motorcycle engine running it, that thing was loud AND dangerous.

I understand their issue with phones and electricity is that the devil gets in through the wires, so using a stationary engine is OK, and some allow a cell phone too. I guess the devil can't travel through the ether. They have some hot rod tractors too.

--R