The way they described it to me (this was in the mid 80s) was that their
bishops decide what is acceptable or not as far as modern conveniences.  From
what I could gather as long as it was something that was a necessity and
provided a direct benefit to the community in some way it could be allowed.  A
good example would be electric lights versus oil lamps.  They can get light
from oil lamps, so electricity is not necessary, and it brings a whole host of
other issues with it.

I will say that the lighting setups I saw in some of these workshops were
pretty amazing.  They would build light "pipes" or tubes from the roof which
would direct light into a work area.  Some really creative thinking was going
on there.

I'll never forget that the bishop for one of the communities I worked with had
a telephone.  Granted, it was mounted in a wooden box on a telephone pole in
the yard in front of his barn, so it wasn't terribly convenient.  Only he was
allows to use it, and you could hear the bell from all over the farm.  I can
remember calling my office from it in the dead of winter, standing out in the
middle of his barn yard freezing my butt off (this was before cellular phones.)

If you had any interior trim or cabinet work being done in that part of the
state it was almost always a crew of Amish guys doing it.  Amazing
craftsmanship and very, very good work.

FWIW, there is a community of Amish in the Sarasota area, which is not far from
here.  From what I have been told it's a popular vacation spot for them if they
want to get away from up North.  I have seen pictures of them walking on the
beach in their plain clothes.  Can't imagine that's terribly comfortable in the
summer around here....

Dan