My neighbors accross the lane had one of the Renault LeCars way back in about 1982. They did not keep it all that long. Subsequently moved on to Subarus if I recall correctly and now drive a VW Golf diesel.

Another neighbor, 2 doors to the south of us also had a Renault about the same time but it was bigger. I don't recall what model. They did not keep it long either as the wife did not find it easy to drive in snow. Might have just been the tires or perhaps her driving skills but she kept looping it into snowbanks so they swapped it for a bigger Chrysler product. A Duster of something similar.
Randy

On 12/03/2013 4:43 PM, Frederick Moir wrote:
Olde Joke.
How do you get a 200 kilo Frenchman into LeCar?
La Machine!

I believe that the engine is under the dash board and the trans sticks out
forward. Makes for an annoying (how else?) engine swap and is vulnerable in
front end collisions.

YMMV.

  Fred Moir

Lynn MA
Diesel preferred.

________________________________
From: "dsereta...@yahoo.com" <dsereta...@yahoo.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Only in Portland...

I always liked the looks of Le Car.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:56 PM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

For the period the LeCar wasn't all that horrible looking.

I wonder if you could transplant the drivetrain from a Rabbit and have a decent
runner?

Actually I know where I could buy a Chinese made copy of a Yanmar 22hp 2cyl
diesel for about $1000 (actually Surplus Center has a REAL 13hp Yanmar for $1k)
that you could drop in...

-Curt