Seller claims it's from an '84 with 85 k miles. I think I can get
it for $350.
My tranny leaks bad at the front. R&R + resealing is $ 650, but I'm told
it's not worth it @ 175k.

That's what I paid for a tranny for my then-fiancee's 450SL,
with some sort of (short) warrantee on it.  More miles,
as I recall.

However the consensus was to replace both the front and pump
seals anyway _before_ installing the tranny.  The parts are
fairly cheap and you can even install them yourself.  As you
know, it's getting _to_ them that normally costs so much.  Rubber
weakens with time as well as miles, it's almost silly not to
start the clock over on the usual suspects while it's easy
to do so.

On that same car I replaced the rear main seal while I was
there.  I bought but did not install a rear tranny seal, mostly
because that can be done on the car so there was no particular
advantage to doing it as PM.  Five years, no leaks!  (This is
the point in our program where I throw in the obligatory
for-sale link.  Sorry about that, but it _is_ required
whenever I'm talking about the car...)

http://cathey.dogear.com/JSLsale.html

-- Jim