Apparently our '80 300TD is unhappy that I opted to take the Euro 280S out for the weekend trip to visit with family, and is throwing a bit of a fit.

This morning, I came down to the car and opened the door and had an extremely dim front cabin light. Uh oh, I think to myself, and - you guessed it - not enough juice to turn the starter. I broke out the jumper cables and fired up the 280S to give the wagon a jump, and everything was golden and I got to work just fine.

7 hours into my workday, I went out to see if things were as bad as they seemed, and my fears were confirmed - dead as a doornail again. An hour later, I grabbed a jump to get her started, and made off for home.

Once home, out came the multitester and the tools. What I found was that with the ignition off, I had current across the aux fan circuit (fuse 15, I think), and the clock/hazard/whatever else circuit (fuse 4, which is also where the aftermarket radio memory is supplied). That all seems normal.

What wasn't normal was a 320mA current draw with *all* fuses removed. That tells me that something unfused is sucking my battery dry. Off the top of my head, that leaves me with a possible internal short in the battery (only a few months old, but Autozone Duralast brand and severely abused with a recent bout of poor charging from a bum alternator), starter (8 months old), or alternator (swiped from the 240D to keep the 300TD on the road, Bosch rebuild maybe 3 years old).

Am I missing any other unfused sources? I ran out of daylight today, so I just left the negative terminal disconnected. Obviously, if I'm out of juice tomorrow morning, the battery is my prime suspect, but I'd like to know if I'm overlooking any other unfused potential power drains so that I can speed troubleshooting tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again, listers!

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 268+kmi