Jim Cathey wrote:

The alternator will still charge with a bad diode, but it won't
do it as well as it should.  However, an unremoved auxiliary fuse
for the wretched Chrysler ACC is an even more likely suspect.
I'd start there first, actually.  These things are notorious
for freezing up and drawing current 24x7.  To top it all off,
repair is expensive!

I'll give it a check tomorrow and report back with my findings. Everything is relatively easy to check:

Dead battery tomorrow morning, despite being disconnected? Internal short of battery.
Remove alternator harness and draw goes away?  Bad diode in alternator.
Disconnect ACC fuse and draw goes away?  Bad servo.
All of the above and draw still exists?  Bum starter.

Guess it could be time to consider replacing the servo with one of those new-fangled digital models...

Thanks again, guys!

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 268+kmi