I've been around OTBH (over the horizon backscatter) radar that disturbs all
sorts of electronic devices.  There wouldn't be anything like that at W-R,
though.

Kills birds, too, if they are unlucky enough to fly in front of the beam.
Didn't happen much, however, as the sites always seemed to be devoid of any
animal life.  I suspect there was something about the radar that they could
detect that was unpleasant.

I saw a radar system on a Navy ship kill a seabird once. A sailor went out on
deck and picked up the carcass.  He said it was warm, like it just came out of
the microwave.  Go figure.

On a related note, when I was a kid in the 60s and we would travel to Florida
for vacation, we always stopped in Perry because they had the only Catholic
church around.

Dan