Sorry, I'm late to all this, but I see your post where you mention the
problem is the relay... I didn't catch up on all the rest of them yet.  But,

Being a 1980, this probably has the earlier style relay.  You can open
these up and clean the contacts.  If you hear it clicking, then the
solenoid inside is probably good. On my 79 300SD (same relay design), one
of the two contacts was bent up a bit from heat and not making any contact.
 The second contact was dirty and not conducting well.  Bending things back
into shape and some cleaning with emory cloth got it working well again.

Maybe this is a useful tidbit.

Also, I know this is obvious and probably mentioned before, but check the
fuse carefully.  It may look good, but a slight crack means its bad.
 Remove it to inspect it.

And finally, just speaking from experience here, don't assume that just
because you fixed something, that its still fixed.  That is, check you
batter cables again very carefully, and all your other grounds for that
matter.

Good luck!
Jaime

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Bob Rentfro <azbob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the deal: turn the key to position 2 no glow light. Turn the key to
> start position, nothing.....but I can hear one kinda loud click coming from
> the fuse bus area.
> The ignition switch (mechanical and electrical portions) has been replaced.
> New starter, new cables, line from ignition switch to solenoid is good.
> Battery readings are SAT.
> What should I go after now? It's my manual 1980 240D.
>
> Bob R

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/